This post is dedicated for our 1st Android Developer Meetup in Bandar Baru Bangi (sponsored by Altfa Solution).
- Download the slides here – http://www.slideshare.net/khirulnizam/android-development-beginners-faq
- Customised Eclipse Installer - http://www.kuis.edu.my/fstm/kerul/adt11-indigo.rar
- Pictures – https://www.facebook.com/MobileSIG (more to come)
What is Android?
- - logo
- Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications (platform). The Android SDK provides the tools and APIs necessary to begin developing applications on the Android platform using the Java programming language.
- The kernel of Android is Linux (2.6).
- Android architecture;
Who develop Android?
- Initially developed by Andy Rubin and his team in Android Inc.
- Google acquired Android Inc. in 2005.
- Now, it is developed by Google.
How many versions (distributions) Android has?
Latest stats till this month (September 2011)
|Version number||Codename||API Level|
|Android 1.5||Cupcake||3 (1.0%)|
|Android 1.6||Donut||4 (1.8%)|
|Android 2.1||Eclair||7 (13.3%)|
|Android 2.2||Froyo||8 (51.2%)|
|Android 3.0||Honeycomb||11 (0.2%)|
|Android 3.1||12 (0.7%)|
|Android 3.2||13 (0.5%)|
*Get the latest stats at http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html
What is API Level?
API Level is an integer value that uniquely identifies the framework API revision offered by a version of the Android platform.
The Android platform provides a framework API that applications can use to interact with the underlying Android system. The framework API consists of:
- A core set of packages and classes
- A set of XML elements and attributes for declaring a manifest file
- A set of XML elements and attributes for declaring and accessing resources
- A set of Intents
- A set of permissions that applications can request, as well as permission enforcements included in the system
What is Android app?
- Developer can develop application that runs on top of Android. App is actually a simpler version of application.
- Uses *.apk for the installer file extension.
What is the language used to develop Android app?
- Java – compiled into Dalvik Bytecode.
- Android provides Dalvik virtual machine- DVM inside Android (NOT Java virtual machine-JVM)
- Using Android API – instead of the normal Java API.
What is Dalvik Virtual Machine, is it similar as JVM?
- Author - Dan Bornstein
- Dalvik VM is a register-based architecture
- Being optimized for low memory requirements
- The VM was slimmed down to use less space
What are tools needed to develop Android App?
- latest JDK – version 6 - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-6u27-download-440405.html (not yet tested against JDK 7)
- Eclipse (as the IDE) - http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/eclipse-ide-java-developers/indigor
- Android Development Toolkit (ADT 12) for Eclipse - http://developer.android.com/sdk/eclipse-adt.html
- Android SDK - http://developer.android.com/sdk/
- Installation guide - http://blog.kerul.net/2011/06/eclipse-helios-android-development.html
How to develop Android apps?
- Creating new Android Project on Eclipse
- Adding text box button
- Using the Properties Window
- Compiling and running your apps on the Android Emulator
I do not have an Android phone, how can I test my apps?
- What is EMULATOR? - a virtual device that runs on your computer. The emulator lets you test Android applications without using a physical device (actual Android phone).
Where to distribute my App?
hi this is really very nice.i am new to android.ur site is very useful for me.u really did great job.......ReplyDelete